Wednesday 30 March 2011

20th Century - Murdoch

I love watching films, I love the cinema experience and am the kind of person to spend ten pounds on a good 'premiere' seat at the cinema and a further tenner on drink, popcorn and sweets. For the first time I watched the trailers and saw the logo of 20th Century Fox and beneath it I saw, "A News Corporation Company." This caught my attention as I never knew this before or why it was written beneath the logo. This may have been around for years and I simply never noticed but it got me thinking and logging on to Wikipedia.

Running through the paragraphs I noted that, 'News Corporation' was not simply a term but a company name. The company name of a Mr Rupert Murdoch. I was surprised, although I know I should not have been. He seems to own practically everything. News papers, news channels, magazines and now movie companies. In order to buy the company he had to become a US citizen, which he did with no problem. The company is the third in the worlds largest in entertainment as well as third in the worlds largest media conglomerate.

As a journalist I feel this is something that I should have known. The more I find out that Murdoch owns the more I understand why many people dislike him and the argument that one person owning as much as he does is not good for society; but that is for another blog post another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment