Tuesday 10 November 2009

Investigative Journalism and Me

Today we had a class on investigative journalism. I found this really interesting and found the stories, such as Veronica Guerin, John Sweeney and the Watergate affair really interesting.

I have always said that my ultimate goal is to be editor and chief of a women's fashion magazine such as Cosmopolitan or Vogue however, after today's class I have found another path that really interests me. So much so I think that I would definitely enjoy it as a job. It sounds very hard and secretive but I really feel that going against the usual agenda sounds not only fun and interesting but that it is serving a purpose. The only downside to the job is the death threats and law suits.

To think that I may uncover a scandal with the government or that I can bring down a president with my hard work and persistence only makes me want to work harder. I feel that I am being a tad morbid, finding interesting stories that have journalists killed for simply carrying out their job in the interest of the public but it feels that, that is what would really help out society. I feel that my writing and skills as a journalist would make a difference in the world. These may be childish dreams, I may not know the whole story but I want to make a difference with my writing. I want people to read my articles and voice their own opinion. I want my writing to be worthwhile and make a difference.

I really admire Veronica Guerin, after having her knees blown off and still naming those responsible took a lot of guts. She could have taken the warning and shut up but she didn't, she named and framed those that were doing wrong. I'm not sure I would have the same courage but I do know that when I am a fully fledged journalist I want to write about things that matter. Whether it be fashion for Cosmo or unearthing a deadly scam by a pharmaceutical company I do not yet know. Who knows which path I'll follow?

No comments:

Post a Comment