Monday 3 October 2011

WINOL - 28 September

So we are back for another term of WINOL. This year I am still production editor but for features instead of the news bulletin. Justina and I share the same role except that I am producing the every week shows of sportsweek and anything else we want to film in the studio on a Tuesday and Justina is planning and producing the shows of WINOL Life and anything else she has up her sleave.


I am also working on a fashion feature at the moment that I am hoping will be finished by the end of November and that will be great high street fashion but it is still in the planning stages. I am currently getting knowledge from YouTube fashion videos to put mine together.

This week was just a dummy run but we still wanted to get everything together so that everyone would be comfortable and will know what they are doing for next week; when we embed the show on to the new WINOL web page. View it here:

This week I was director for the first time and did enjoy it and loved doing something different but I do not think that this is something I would like to do every week. The second years have picked up everything in the gallery really quickly so I relied on them knowing what they were doing to get through it. Angus told me afterwards I needed to be louder and communicate more with everyone in the Gallery as well as the studio. I agree with this is as I know I kind of just breathed through it thanks to everyone knowing what they were doing. If I direct again I shall try to remember this and take note to commnicate more with everyone in the Gallery.


The packages were not very strong this week. There was a lot of shots out of focus as well as not a lot of white balancing but this was to be expected as this was the second years first packages they put together. The main point is that this was a learning week and they learnt how to film and put the packages together in time for next week. I hope that they will take everything on board and will just go from strength to strength.

As the second years had never edited or filmed before it was really nice to see the spare third years helping them out and coaching them through it. I helped Felicity film her package and although it was not great I think I helped show her how to whit balance, focus, use the right microphone and how important it is to put your interviewee in the right spot. Due to being in a very sunny pub we had to move the interviewee round quite a bit and finally ended up in a spot that was not great but I think it will help Felicity in future think about the interviewee and the shot as much as the equipment.


As the show was a dummy run there is no show to watch this week but hopefully next week our official first one will be the best 'first' WINOL we have had yet.

We finished UK Today last week. It is not my best work but it showed me the amount of work that goes in to producing a whole new show, not least a show incorporating five different universities. Salford are looking to do the next one so I am hoping I can help concentrate on making our package one of the best. View it here: http://www.uktoday.org.uk/

With lots of different projects on the go I think this term is going to be a very busy one but I am looking forward to producing more content than just the news bulletin; however much I will miss it.

No comments:

Post a Comment