Wednesday 8 December 2010

Critical Evaluation of Winol - 8th December

This week I helped Andy film his piece for features about the man that ran across the driest desert on earth in six days. Josh showed me how to open the studio and how to turn everything on, ready to record. I now feel very comfortable with whole of the studio and practically every switch. I really enjoy working in the gallery and studio and now I am 100% comfortable with it too. From knowing completely that I want to be a features writer I have switched. I love the buzz in the gallery and think that it would be very worthwhile for me to learn more and spend more time in there.

The feature went really well and the interviewee was really good. He described everything he saw, felt, thought and it made it really interesting. Andy had great questions and did not look nervous at all. This can be seen on www.winol.co.uk along with the news bulletin.

The Winol bulletin went quite well. We had one major problem that happened as we were recording the live show. This was when we went to Stuart in the newsroom about his piece and redundancies made at the Council. Stuart was talking but we had no sound. This meant that Cara had to apologise to the viewers about the technical problem and then carry on with the rest of the bulletin. The apology went well and we carried on without a problem. We then went back to Stuart in the news room after the following VT and it all went smoothly. This was the only main problem this week.
I loaded the script on to the auto cue and ran it again this week as we were low on numbers and no one knew how to do the auto cue. There were a few changes to be made on it before we ran through but they were small and simple.

We had first years on the cameras this week and they did really well. There was a handover to sport where camera 2 had to change position and Josh, the first year, did well moving in time and positioning the camera quickly. This was done after a very quick 5 minute tutorial so, on that, they did really well. It will help when they come to work on Winol in the second year too. I did not know anything when I came to Winol so they will already be ahead of the game.

Again, I really enjoyed working on production and in the gallery. Josh showed me how to work the Tricaster and the new VT programme, as well as the air conditioning; this would prove very useful as it either gets very hot or very cold in the gallery.

I have decided to put myself in for the position of Production Editor for the next semester. My fingers are crossed and I am looking forward to working on production full time if I get the job. Next week is our last bulletin and I look forward to doing our last bulletin of 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment