Monday 12 April 2010

Council Bug

I feel have caught a political bug of some form since my day campaigning with Councillor Jeremy Moulton et.al. I attended a meeting today for pensioners. I will not be classed as one of these for another forty years. I don't have to worry about anything to do with pensions for the next thirty years and yet I still attended, and loved it. At the front was a man named Robbie of which Cara had campaigned with, Alan Whitehead, now campaigning to be re-elected as the Labour MP of Southampton Test and another MP which was about to become candidate for Southampton North and Romsey, again Labour.


The room was filled with people no younger than 45. I felt very young, a little odd and wondered why I was there. After listening about why these pensioners should vote for the Labour candidates and what they wanted to do for the pensioners I felt that there were many questions. Thankfully there would be a question time at the end of the speeches. The most hilarious part of the meeting was when Emma, the oldest member at 94 decided to put the Labour MP's on the spot and tell them what she really thought of them. At the end of her speech there were many claps and whoops. As the meeting progressed I found that I had a few questions and decided to have my say. I was handed the microphone, and after the hall of pensioners finished shouting at me about how to use a microphone I finally proceeded with my question. Of which, I do not think Alan Whitehead liked, he kept repeating, "that is an open ended question". I couldn't understand this but was glad my question was liked by the pensioners and follow on questions were added to back mine up.


I felt like a real journalist. It was a great practice for press meetings and I'm proud that I had the confidence to speak up and ask my question. It was valued and I look forward to the next meeting.

No comments:

Post a Comment