Tuesday 9 February 2010

FOI Requests Make Front Page News

Yet again I read The Sun yesterday and felt a little guilty for finding some articles actually quite interesting. News is news after all isn't it? Well just like my last post I found this article interesting because the way in which they gained their knowledge. This was again, through a Freedom of Information Request.

The Sun wanted to know about 'primary school mums'. They requested information and they received astonishing figures of how many girls get pregnant every year and their ages. The article said that there are 23 girls under 15 expecting children every day. It also said that 15 girls that are aged 10 have given birth over the last 7 years. These figures are massive and are not ending.

This news was not over the front page, it was given a small corner but the front page is best no matter how small right? This started to make me think. The Sun has written two very interesting articles about society and both times have gained their knowledge from Freedom of Information Requests.

I have now decided that I want to submit my own request. The direct.gov website tells you how to apply for the requests, who you can apply to, what you should and should not write and all the details that go along with the act that you need to consider. All I have to do now is to think of what I would like to request and write the letter. I will, ofcourse keep you posted on my blog of the question I choose to send and the company I choose to send it to. If anyone has any ideas please let me know as it's taking me a while to think of a good question. I will then hopefully have information to write an article on.

Well, good luck to me and I'll keep you guys posted.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governmentcitizensandrights/Yourrightsandresponsibilities/DG_4003239

No comments:

Post a Comment